Long gone are the days of complex marketing funnels, confusing (and sometimes icky-feeling) strategies, and over-hyped tactics. No matter if you’re a newbie entrepreneur, or you’ve been around for a while, it’s likely that you’re looking for ways to start & grow your business this year. It IS 2022, after all!
Here’s what’s important to note: Starting & growing a business is the most challenging personal growth journey you’ll take in your life. Why? Because at every junction of the journey, you’ll be confronted with your limiting beliefs and how to overcome them. While this can be challenging, as I said, it’s also a very fulfilling and gratifying experience…as long as you’re up for it!
In addition to having mentors to guide you along the way, it’s important to educate yourself in other ways, too. Today, I want to share the importance of overcoming imposter syndrome as an RD entrepreneur, especially if you want to succeed in growing a business that impacts the lives of others.
Becoming Your Own Business Guru
Table of Contents
- 1 Becoming Your Own Business Guru
- 2 Trust is The Key to Your Desires
- 3 5 Books to Help Elevate Your Mindset
- 4 The 1-2-3’s of Marketing
- 5 Key Takeaways: Best Resources on Mindset & Marketing for RD Entrepreneurs
Guru: Hindu for a spiritual teacher or a person who has reached a high level of consciousness.
In my podcast episode entitled Becoming Your Own Guru, I talk about the importance of educating yourself on relevant topics of interest. When you’re starting and growing a business, it’s easy to fall into the habit of taking the advice of others as the “golden standard,” especially if they’ve already achieved the success you’re seeking to achieve.
But what most of us fail to realize, especially in the beginning, is that we have the same capabilities as others to create our own concepts, theories, and methodologies when we apply what we learn in our own unique way.
This is what helps you stand out in a saturated field of nutrition & wellness practitioners. Because if you’re not standing out, you’re most likely blending in. And you don’t want that!
Now that’s not to say that you shouldn’t have mentors to help guide you along your entrepreneurial journey. I’ve had plenty of my own and they’ve all contributed to my personal and professional growth in their own unique way. I definitely wouldn’t be where I am today without their wisdom, guidance, and support.
But you, my friend, have your own inner wisdom that’s available to you, AKA your Inner Wise Woman. She is you and you are her. What would happen if you trusted her to co-create the career of your dreams?
Trust is The Key to Your Desires
I find it fascinating that we trust Amazon Prime more than we trust ourselves or God/The Universe.
It’s the craziest thing if you really think about it. Once you place that Amazon Prime order, you 100% trust that your order will arrive as promised.
But when we pray and ask God/The Universe for the career of our dreams, for example, we’re constantly second-guessing every step of the way.
What if you were to believe 100% that your best life and career are on their way, no matter what the present moment looks like? Even when your marketing seems like it’s not working…or when you haven’t had a new client in months…and when social media algorithms are working against every effort you make.
This takes a special kind of mindset. An unshakeable belief. And it doesn’t appear like magic. You have to learn how to rewire your brain and create new intentional habits & beliefs.
5 Books to Help Elevate Your Mindset
This is where the rubber hits the road. Because when you change your mindset, you change your life.
Below are the best books on the topic of mindset, neuroscience, and quantum physics. I recommend that you read the physical books instead of listening to the audiobook versions. At least, in the beginning, give your brain the gift of using 3 of its 5 senses as you read to yourself by seeing the words on the pages of the book you have in your physical hands.
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, by Carol Dwek. After decades of research, world-renowned Stanford University psychologist Carol S. Dweck, Ph.D., discovered a simple but groundbreaking idea: the power of mindset. In this brilliant book, she shows how success in school, work, sports, the arts, and almost every area of human endeavor can be dramatically influenced by how we think about our talents and abilities.
- How Emotions Are Made: The Secret Life of the Brain, by Lisa Feldman Barrett. The science of emotion is in the midst of a revolution on par with the discovery of relativity in physics and natural selection in biology. Leading the charge is psychologist and neuroscientist Lisa Feldman Barrett, whose research overturns the long-standing belief that emotions are automatic, universal, and hardwired in different brain regions. Instead, Barrett shows, we construct each instance of emotion through a unique interplay of brain, body, and culture.
- Becoming Supernatural: How Common People Are Doing the Uncommon, by Dr. Joe Dispenza. Dr. Joe, author of the New York Times bestseller You Are the Placebo as well as Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself and Evolve Your Brain, draws on up-to-the-minute research in neuroscience, epigenetics, and quantum physics to show how transformation takes place and what it can mean for our lives.
- The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter & Miracles, by Bruce H. Lipton. The Biology of Belief is a groundbreaking work in the field of new biology. Former medical school professor and research scientist Bruce H. Lipton, Ph.D., presents his experiments, and those of other leading-edge scientists, which examine in great detail the mechanisms by which cells receive and process information.
- A Happy Pocket Full of Money: Infinite Wealth and Abundance in the Here and Now, by David Cameron Gikandi. Based on the recent discoveries of theoretical physics and a close reading of inspirational classics of the last century, Gikandi creates a new model for the creation of personal wealth; a new model that shows readers how to create abundance by saving, giving, offering charity, and building happy relationships.
The 1-2-3’s of Marketing
As you’re working on your mindset, it’s also important to learn more about business growth and marketing. This is an area with varying methods, strategies, and methodologies. The resources I share with you below are those that I’ve used myself and have found very helpful.
This was one of the very first business-building programs I invested in. I joined B-School in 2013 and have seen Marie Forleo grow and evolve this program over the past 9 years. If you’re just starting out in business, and you’re a self-starter who doesn’t require a lot of hand-holding to implement what you learn, this program will be a great fit for you.
James Wedmore does a great job at blending mindset work and business strategy. Joining Business by Design is like investing in an all-inclusive resort. Everything you need to start and grow your business is at your fingertips. Warning: James is BIG on being a giver and there’s A LOT of information and resources in this program. You’re not meant to utilize everything all at once, but instead, keep the program as a Rolodex of resources.
The Club is a program I joined more recently, after growing my business to the 6-figure level. But you don’t need to be a 6-figure earner to join. Rachel Rodger’s claim to fame is to help women business owners hit the 7-figure mark in 3 years (or less). Like B-School, you need to be self-motivated to implement what you learn.
Of course, my private coaching program is added to the mix here. Everything I teach my own clients is a full culmination of my experience and education on mindset and marketing over the past 20 years. This is the perfect program for you if you’re just starting out, or you’ve been in business for several years and you’ve hit a financial ceiling. It’s also a great fit if you’d like more personalized support, opposed to what you find in online business courses and programs.
Key Takeaways: Best Resources on Mindset & Marketing for RD Entrepreneurs
You can become your own Guru. You have what it takes to create your own original concepts and methodologies.
What’s important is that you educate yourself using the best resources out there. It’s also imperative that you trust yourself as well as God/The Universe as you blaze your own unique trail as an RD Entrepreneur.
As you build your nutrition business, mindset principles as well as marketing strategies are the 2 most important components. Thankfully, there are plenty of books, online coaching programs, and business mentors out there to choose from.
Always remember that you get to decide how to run your business. Use the resources as a loose framework to create a business that is a direct reflection of you, your core values, and how you want to serve your clients.